Question: Why would our own government release terrorists, who have committed acts of violence against unarmed civilians, without any regard for who was hurt and are a threat to international security, into our neighborhoods? What’s wrong with this picture?
This article reveals that the release of Chinese terrorists into U.S. neighborhoods and our U.S. Attorney General disgustingly refuses to answer any questions related to this issue-You Decide:
Chinese Terrorists Release in U.S. Imminent, No Answers From Holder–Posted on Human Issues-By Rep. Frank Wolf-On May 5, 2009:
These are pertinent excerpts from this article:
“Should foreigners picked up conducting terrorist training with Al Qaeda and subsequently held at Guantanamo Bay just be released into our communities, no questions asked?
Believe it or not, it could happen. And soon.
The Obama administration is ready to release a number of Chinese Muslims, known as Uighurs, held at Guantanamo Bay since 2002 into the United States, according to several recent press reports.
Information I have received, however, indicates that the 17 Uighurs being held at Guantanamo may be more dangerous than the public has been led to believe. Both the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security have reportedly raised serious concerns about the release of the 17 detainees, who are said to be members of the Eastern Turkistan Islamic Movement, a terrorist organization affiliated with Al Qaeda.
To be clear, we are not talking about transferring these folks to prisons in the United States. They would released, free and clear. They would be walking our streets, shopping in our malls, eating in our restaurants.
Last Friday, I wrote President Obama asking that all the information about the capture and detention of the 17 Uighurs — including a threat assessment for each detainee who would be released into the United States — be declassified and released to the public. Any intelligence assessment of the Uighurs also must take into account not only their previous training at terrorist camps but their potential subsequent exposure to the likes of Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the mastermind of 9/11 who also took pleasure in beheading Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl.
- It can’t just pick and choose what classified information it deems worthy of releasing.
- Is the Attorney General preventing agencies from answering Members’ questions?
This is not the transparency and accountability the president promised, nor is it the open and constructive relationship he claims to want with Congress. This is not change. This is an administration intent on keeping Congress and the American people in the dark about critically-important national security issues.
I have written Attorney General Holder two letters asking a series of questions about the transfer of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. The first was dated March 13; and the second was dated April 23.
I have yet to receive a response to either.
My office has been told by the White House that some of the questions that I have asked can’t even be answered.
When Attorney General Holder appeared before the Commerce-Justice-Science Appropriations subcommittee last month, he pointedly said he would not play “hide and seek” with information.
What is he hiding?
The Attorney General, in my opinion, is ‘slow rolling’ information as terrorist detainees are released into the United States.
On Sunday, “60 Minutes” had a disturbing segment, which touched on the radicalization of Guantanamo Bay detainees. The story indicated that in Saudi Arabia alone, of the 117 men returned from Guantanamo, 11 have shown up again on Saudi Arabia’s most wanted terrorist list.
I fear political expediency may be clouding judgment.
That is inexcusable in a post-9/11 world. The American people have a right to know everything there is to know about these people who could potentially be released into our neighborhoods.
The stakes are simply too high for the administration to reasonably think that the American people should simply take their word for it that these men pose no security threat.
Mr. Wolf, a Republican, represents the 10th District of Virginia in the U. S. House of Representatives.”
This article reveals that the East Turkestan Islamic Movement, or ETIM, has become the first branch of the Uighur separatist group to be added to the U.S. list of terrorist organizations-You Decide:
CHINA: UIGHUR GROUP ADDED TO U.S. LIST OF TERRORIST ORGANIZATIONS-By Zamira Eshanova/Bruce Pannier: A EurasiaNet Partner Post from RFE/RL–On September 1, 2002:
These are pertinent excerpts from this article:
“The East Turkestan Islamic Movement, or ETIM, has become the first branch of the Uighur separatist group to be added to the U.S. list of terrorist organizations.
U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage publicly announced the decision during a trip to the Chinese capital, Beijing. “After careful study, we judged that [ETIM] was a terrorist group and that it committed acts of violence against unarmed civilians, without any regard for who was hurt,” Armitage said.
U.S. Embassy officials in Beijing, commenting on the decision, said that the Xinjiang-based group had been planning attacks against U.S. interests abroad, including the U.S. Embassy in Kyrgyzstan.
An article published on 29 August in the U.S. newspaper “The Washington Post,” reporting on the ETIM allegations, cited Kyrgyz Foreign Minister Askar Aitmatov as saying there was reason to believe the Bishkek embassy had in fact been targeted, but he gave no details.
The U.S. decision came as a surprise for many Uighurs and international observers. Adding the little-known group to the U.S. terrorist list, they say, may have a negative impact on other Muslim Uighurs living in China’s western Xinjiang province.
Uighurs, who, according to the most recent Chinese census, number some 7.2 million people, have been fighting for independent statehood since 1759, when China invaded the Uighur Kingdom of Eastern Turkestan, which they later (1876) renamed Xinjiang, meaning “new territory.”
The largest Uighur revolt was brutally suppressed by Chinese communists in 1945. But various Uighur organizations in Xinjiang and abroad have continued their struggle for independence — a struggle the Chinese government has tried to characterize as terrorist-based and a threat to international security.
But Enver Can, president of the Munich-based East Turkestan National Congress, said Uighurs have never been religious extremists. Moreover, he said there are dozens of various Uighur organizations around the world, but that ETIM is virtually unknown. He questioned whether ETIM is even large enough to warrant classification as an independent Uighur group.
“They are a small group of people who first fled to Central Asia, to neighboring Central Asian republics. After [governments there] began to deport some Uighurs back to China, the others who remained crossed to Pakistan and Afghanistan. There they received shelter and for different reasons, to settle their lives, they joined one group or another in Afghanistan,” Can said.
Can, like many of his fellow Uighurs, fears the U.S. decision to include ETIM on its list of terrorist organizations will prompt the Chinese government to step up its crackdown on Uighurs, suppressing their efforts at a national and cultural revival in the name of fighting terrorism.
“Putting an almost nonexistent Uighur organization on a list of foreign terrorist organizations would mean for China that it has received a green light. Because, since 11 September, despite warnings by President [George W.] Bush and [United Nations Human Rights Commissioner] Mary Robinson, and despite the appeals of international human rights organizations not to misuse the international struggle [against] terrorism to crack down on Uighurs, China has been stepping up its military presence in East Turkestan [Xinjiang]. [They are] intimidating people; arresting, detaining, and sentencing thousands of Uiyghurs; and censoring very much religious freedom, burning books.
All this means that China will do everything possible [to crack down on Uighurs] if it sees tolerance [for its actions] from the West,” Can said.
The U.S. decision on ETIM has caused serious concerns among international human rights organizations. Maya Catsanis, Amnesty International’s press officer for the Asia-Pacific region, agrees that the inclusion of a non-representative Uighur group like ETIM on the U.S. terrorist list may cause the already difficult plight of many Uighurs to deteriorate further.
She told RFE/RL the Chinese government had already begun to use the international war on terrorism to justify its repression of Uighurs. Catsanis described how the situation of Xinjiang Uighurs has changed over the past year.
“It certainly has gotten worse since 11 September.”
There are estimates that around 3,000 people were detained between 11 September and the end of the year. Scores of people, at least, have been sentenced to long prison terms for so-called separatist offenses. There have been several executions, although information about these executions is very difficult to obtain because the Chinese government is no longer publishing who was executed and when,” Catsanis said.
Catsanis said the U.S. government should be very careful not to let its own antiterrorism campaign give free rein to governments like China’s to pursue their own campaigns against Uighurs and other groups looking for independence or the right to preserve their national and religious identity.
“We certainly hope that the U.S. government will be vigilant in who it decides is a terrorist group and what is not a terrorist group. For the Chinese government, it is a bit of a coup, the labeling of this particular group. We would ask the U.S. government to be very, very, very careful on the information they receive about who is a terrorist and what it then does with that information. Because if it does proceed to ban other groups which are not terrorist, and indeed just people expressing their peaceful wish to secede, for example, from China, then it could signal a green light for the Chinese government to go ahead and increase its repression,” Catsanis said.
Uighur activists and human rights defenders express deep concern that unless the U.S. makes a clear distinction between ETIM and the broader Uighur nationalist movement, the Chinese government will step up its propaganda against so-called Uighur terrorism worldwide and increase its use of violence to crack down on any kind of dissent among Uighurs in its Xinjiang province.”
Note: This is another great example of how this President and his administration seem to deliberately threatening our Homeland/National Security and systematically eroding our Constitution, which will ultimately destroy our country, that so many of our young Americans, as members of our Armed Forces, have courageously fought and died for-You Decide:
“Food For Thought”
“God Bless & Keep Our USA Safe”